Last Updated on January 14, 2023 by Sarker C. Weber
Surroundings of your house have been jammed with trees, weeds, and bushes.
You have been thinking of cleaning them up for a long time. But, you need something to do that task quickly and easily.
In that case, you cannot think of anything else than a chainsaw. However, is this the first time you’re going to use it? Yes!
Ok…then you need the best chainsaw for beginners. After handing you a chainsaw, we’ll also discuss some of the tips so that you can use your chainsaw properly and safely.
Best Beginner Chainsaw Comparison – 2023
5 Best Chainsaw for a Beginner – Reviews
We tested dozens of models. Used each one to cut different wood under different conditions. We also looked at the safety features, as the models are for beginners. After completing all the necessary tests, we got the preferable top 5 models.
1. BLACK+DECKER LCS1240B – Best Overall
- Wraparound handle - For ensuring maximum comfort, the saw packs a rubber-molded gripping area.
- Moderate weight - Transferring it from job to job will be a piece of cake, as this one includes not more than 8.3 pounds of weight.
- Front handguard - Keeps users away from debris or such type of things.
- Safety switch - The saw equips a specific lock-off button for preventing accidental starting.
Want to deal with smaller tasks like fallen limb cutting and brunch pruning?
Then here is what you should consider first, the BLACK+DECKER LCS1240B, which might be the best battery-powered chainsaw for Beginners.
The bar size that it packs is around 12 inches; it might be not that bigger yet more than enough to cut up a variety of small-sized trees and woods.
Besides, the 40V MAX battery allows you to work very smoothly. Without facing any issues, you can make nearly 60 cuts in a single charge.
For quick and easy chain adjustment, this particular saw has got a toolless chain tensioning system.
And the automatic oiler is designed to enhance the efficiency of the chain as well as the bar.
- Compatible with newbies
- Includes a safety switch
- Can make 60 cuts in a charge
- The wraparound handle maximizes the comfort level
- Users have to spend extra pence to get a battery and charger!
2. Makita UC4051A – Runner Up
- Current limiter - Designed to save the motor from burning issues. In addition, it decreases the power when the saw gets overheated or overloaded.
- Large trigger switch - From now on, you can smoothly turn the device ‘on.’
- Compact shape - Enables you to enter into the hard-to-reach areas effortlessly.
- Low kickback chain - As a beginner, This features will enhance saws performance levels.
You can pick up this one from Makita if you are interested in a corded version instead of a battery-powered one.
It’s powerful, compact, and relatively easy to operate as well. Want to find out why this unit is the best electric chainsaw for beginners?
Okay! Keep Reading.
First off, Makita UC4051A is powered by a 14.5-amp motor that delivers a maximum speed of around 2900 FPM. Like our previous pick, you can get a tool-free chain tensioner for quick chain adjustments.
Beginners or entry-level sawyers require an easy-to-hold handle so that they can grab it for a long time without facing any issues.
Considering the fact, this champ has got a rubberized grip handle, which is way too comfortable than the typical “plastic handles.”
The bar size is slightly bigger than our previous model of Black + Decker; it enables users to slash some of the different types of wood and trees with minimal effort.
To maintain a sufficient amount of lubricant on the chain, the device has an automatic oiling system.
Besides, you can get a large-sized oil reservoir with a clear-view window to check the oil level smartly and easily.
- Packed with plenty of power
- Requires less time to adjust the chain
- Rubberized gripping area increases comfort
- Ideal for cutting small to mid-sized branches
- Free from overloading and overheating issues
- Seems a bit weaker when it comes to the built quality!
3. WORX (WG304.2) – Budget Pick
- Auto-lubrication system - It always keeps your saw’s chain well-oiled for quicker yet better cuts.
- An efficient chain brake - For preventing accidental cutting, the chain brake is designed to turn the chain off immediately.
- Full-wrap gripping area - Allows you to make a firm grip without cutting down comfort levels.
- Lightweight structure - Despite being powerful, it weighs only 11.2 pounds for user convenience.
- Oversized knob - Engineered to protect your saw’s bar and chain.
Are you still searching for the best-corded chainsaw for beginners? If so, then take a look at this model from WORX.
With its 18-inch large-sized bar, you will be capable of chopping numerous types of trees and woods in a breeze.
The motor that it packs is around 15.0-amp allowing you to utilize this saw on heavy tasks.
Thus, it equips a lot of power yet comes with a moderate price tag, thankfully!
Its auto-tension chain enables users to prevent over-tightening issues.
Besides, the low kickback chain is designed to increase the overall performance and ensure maximum safety at the same time.
The capacity of the oil tank is around 500 ml, which is enough for do-it-yourselfers as well as beginners.
Moreover, for adjusting the chain rather quickly, this masterpiece includes an efficient tool-free chain tensioning system.
Along with the tool, you can get a blade protection cover and lubrication oil.
- Superior motor with a large-sized bar
- Has got a wrap-around grip for better comfort
- Free from chain over-tightening issues
- Poor oil reservoir!
4. Husqvarna T435 Top Handle Chainsaw
- Side-chain tensioner -Enables users to tighten or adjust the chain very quickly.
- Fast-release air filter - Helps you clean or replace the filter within a short period.
- Anti-Vib feature - The chainsaw is well-known for offering less vibration; the credit goes to the anti-vibration system it packs.
- Chain brake - Decreases the chance of accidental starting.
- X-force bar and x-cut chain - The saw is a perfect combination of an x-cut chain and an x-force bar for ensuring better performance.
Husqvarna T435 comes with a lightweight structure, which could be a plus point for those who are looking for an easy-to-carry chainsaw.
Because of its small and light frame, anyone—especially beginners—can hold it for hours and hours with ease.
It looks way too attractive when you compare it with the typical gas-powered saws.
Alongside the appearance, it offers a 12-inch bar to slash small-sized woods within a snap.
Speaking of power, the beast boasts a 35.0cc engine to provide maximum strength.
It’s actually more than enough for beginners who want to complete small to medium tasks efficiently.
And you know, it’s tough to beat in terms of rigidity, this son of a gun is covered with a solid frame to ensure ultimate durability.
Good to know, the fuel consumption rate will be pretty less if you get your hands on the Husqvarna T435.
And the unique rope attachment features make this top-handle chainsaw best for beginners.
- Powerful engine with a durable frame
- Only 7.5 pounds for better portability
- Takes a short time to clean or replace filters
- Decreases vibration levels while cutting
- The gas tank seems a bit small!
5. Echo CS-355T 14-inch 30cc chainsaw
- Quick-start option - The saw needs only a few seconds to start up.
- An efficient air pre-cleaner - Designed to keep the filter spick and span.
- Adjustable oiler - Always keeps the chain well-oiled.
- Compact design - Able to make precise cuts in hard-to-reach areas.
Here is our final pick from the Echo, which might be the best gas chainsaw for beginners to cut small to mid-sized trees.
This gas-powered version includes adequate power yet packs a lightweight structure.
Because of its 6.42 pounds of weight, anyone can carry it for up to hours without any fatigue; in addition, this little champ includes an easy-to-grip handle to ensure better comfort at the time of forest logging, wood carving, or ice sculpting.
Adjusting chains will be as easy as pie because of the side chain tensioner.
Plus, you can maintain constant lubrication while working, thanks to the automatic oiler system it equips.
The professional-grade 35.8cc engine is enough to provide superior power; besides, its 14-inch double-guard bar is engineered to chop up several types of wood.
Overall, an echo chainsaw could be a better choice for newbies who want to begin DIY missions with an easy-to-run chainsaw!
- One of the most lightweight chainsaws
- Equipped with an easy-to-grab handle
- Requires just a few seconds for starting
- Compatible with small to mid-sized trees
- Awkward chain brake!
What to look for before buying a beginner-friendly chainsaw
Selecting your first chainsaw can understandably be confusing, especially if you don’t have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Here’s what to factor into your purchase decisions.
There are two main types of chainsaws: gas-powered and battery-powered (electric).
Electric chainsaws are lightweight, portable, and for some easier to use, but gas models are decidedly faster and more powerful.
So it ultimately depends on your intended purpose.
If you have many trees on your property that you want to get rid of quickly, a gas-powered model will be more suitable.
On the other hand, if your yard is smaller and more manageable, an electric model should work fine.
Note that some electric chainsaws are plug-in models. Although these are more dependable than battery-powered cordless ones, they usually can’t be extended beyond 100 feet.
If you’re working with pruning applications, that should be fine, though.
As with all power tools, some maintenance must be undertaken if you expect your chainsaw to serve you for the years to come.
However, if you’re not big on maintenance, an electric chainsaw is a better choice since you just have to charge them.
Although potentially high battery replacement costs must also be considered, replenishing gasoline and/or oil for your gas-powered chainsaw might be just as expensive, depending on usage.
Fuel filters and spark plugs must also be replaced.
What kind of functionality features should your chainsaw have? For example, some chainsaws come with their own auto lubrication systems to reduce oil wastage.
How easy it is to adjust the tension on your chainsaw is another concern since chainsaws must be tensioned regularly.
Also, look into safety features such as anti-kickback protection (i.e., integrating an inertia chain brake).
Chain guards, handguards, and safety interlocks are other features to consider.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a beginner, what is the ideal bar size?
A beginner should always choose between small to medium-sized bars to reduce the possibility of accidents and kickbacks.
However, if you are very new to sawing, make sure to pick the bar from 12 inches to 16-inch.
Is it dangerous to operate a top-handle chainsaw?
To be honest, yes. It could be very dangerous for beginners or those who don’t know the proper way of using it.
This is why we always suggest putting on safety dresses before operating a top-handle chainsaw.
Which one should I choose to keep myself away from extreme noise?
There are a few models that equip an anti-vibration system to keep users away from irritating noise.
If you need a noise-free chainsaw, then Husqvarna T435 is what you should pick up.
Its anti-vib feature ensures zero noise while operating, so it could be a good option for those who don’t want to deal with loud sounds.
Is it okay to cut wet wood through a chainsaw?
It is always better to let the wood dry under the sun before cutting.
Then, of course, you might chop some wet wood through a chainsaw, but all saws are not much friendly with it, to be honest.
We’ve covered the best chainsaw for beginners. We believe that each model has the capability of tackling down woodcutting jobs with ease.
So pick the one that has the potential to meet your needs.
BLACK+DECKER LCS1240B cordless chainsaw is our top model. It’s lightweight and equipped with a powerful battery that offers long working hours.
If you don’t need to do heavy wood jobs, then it’s going to be your best pal.
Makita UC4051A is our runner-up. This offers comfort, and balance, along with ensuring optimum safety. Fueling it may give you a hard time; other than that, it’s perfect!
Need a pocket-friendly chainsaw since you are tight on cash? Then, get your hands on the WORX WG304.2.
Despite being inexpensive, this masterpiece has got a 15-amp motor with an 18-inch bar to cut up all types of wood effortlessly.
While using the saw, you might have to deal with a flimsy oil reservoir, but overall, it’s good enough!