Last Updated on January 17, 2023 by Sarker C. Weber
Nowadays, wood carving is becoming one of the most popular projects among people.
But keep in mind, you have to get yourself the right tool to accomplish this tricky job appropriately.
Without a doubt, a piece of chainsaw is the perfect option to perform this task. So now you’re thinking, ”Which one should I get for carving?”
Well, picking the best chainsaw for carving could be a little bit hectic for a few people.
So, before you expend some cash on the wrong items, make sure to pay attention to this write-up to get the carving chainsaw you need.
Top 5 Best Chainsaw for Wood Carving -Reviews
1. Dewalt DCCS620P1 Wood Carving Chainsaw – Top Pick
- Brushless motor - It provides better running time and efficiency for heavy-duty projects.
- Oil level indicator - Designed for showing you the level of oil in the bar and chain.
- Compact design - This one is not that bulky, so it could be an advantage for those who will utilize it in hard-to-reach areas.
- Tool-free mechanism - This particular feature makes your chain adjustment system pretty simple.
- A convenient gripping area - The saw makes you feel comfortable while operating. But, of course, all the credit goes to the wrap-around handle that it packs.
It doesn’t matter how pro of a carver you are; even though kickback isn’t much of an issue, sometimes it can give you a bummer.
And guess what? You won’t have to worry a bit this time as the DCCS620P1 from Dewalt is on the loose.
It has got a low kickback, and that too with just a 12 inches Oregon bar and chain.
Let it be for construction or any type of outdoor cutting application, this son of a gun can be your best friend to solve the toughest problems.
High efficiency contributes to great carving. The makers from Dewalt know it pretty well.
Since it’s cordless, you can move it with ease to any place you want. In addition, thanks to the 20V lithium-ion battery, you can run it for hours.
Despite being battery-powered, DEWALT DCCS620P1 equips both the bar tightening knob and a tool-free chain tensioning mechanism.
Considering all of these facts, if you want to call it the best cordless chainsaw for carving, no one will stop you.
- Packs plenty of power
- Lightweight yet durable
- Provides low kickback
- Decent battery running time
- Unfortunately, it requires lots of chain oil
2. BLACK+DECKER 20V Max Cordless Wood Carving Chainsaw
- Affordable - There is no need to spend extra pence to get this one since the chainsaw seems low in cost.
- Low-kickback bar - While carving, you won’t have to deal with accidental kickbacks. So, it could be ideal for both newbies and experts.
- Tool-less tensioning system - You dont need any additional tools to make quick adjustments.
- Interchangeable battery - You can use its battery on lawn garden equipment, home cleaning devices, and a variety of different other black+decker power tools, thankfully!
- And More...
So, what if you’re someone who deals with small carvings? I suppose you won’t be needing a big beast.
Well, you can check out Black+Decker’s cordless chainsaw to take your carving fantasies to a new height.
It’s affordable, premium, and robust enough to withstand the toughest abuses. Thanks to its 10-inch low-kickback bar, you can make smoother cuts while pushing your carving skill to the artistic borders.
The bar size that it packs might be a bit small, but honestly, you can complete your task way too easily with it.
One similarity it has with the model from Dewalt you’ve just read is the fact that this cordless chainsaw comes with 20V max lithium-ion.
I know how tough it’s to carve wood that is pretty strong and hard.
Now, this will be a walk in the park to bring the art out of the wood with such great power.
As for extras, it features an automatic oiling system for the chain and bar lubrication, which obviously makes it unique compared to the mainstream.
- Relatively handy due to its 7.59 pounds weight
- Ensures smooth and fast chop-up with its 10-inch bar
- The wrap-around gripping area adds extra comfort
- Some found oil leakage issues!
3. Greenworks 20222 – Budget-friendly
- Inexpensive - It bears a cheap price tag so that anyone can have it without spending a lot of bundles.
- A comfy wrap-around handle - Even if you hold this saw for long, you can get better comfort.
- Ease of use - You can start it up in a hassle-free way, and it requires less effort to operate because of its corded design.
- A cord lock system - Due to this feature, you can add extra comfort during the application.
- And more...
Greenworks 20222 could be your ultimate choice if you are looking for a chainsaw as cheap as chips.
Once again, I’ve got this for carvers who don’t need to carve big-sized woods.
The 10.5-amp motor is nothing much, but it’s enough for you if you’re not attempting a giant art out of the wood you’re carving.
And guess what? It’s good for beginners as well. So you won’t have to take enough time for adjustments; the credit goes to the toolless chain tensioning system it packs.
The saw comes with a 14-inch bar. Besides, it provides less noise during the application.
To run this tool with efficiency, you won’t have to be an expert at all.
Unlike the typical saws, it is easy to plug in and includes a convenient pull-to-start button to turn the device on when you really want it.
- An inexpensive chainsaw
- Ease of use and maintenance
- Delivers minimal noise during operations
- Oil might leak at times
4. WORX WG3041
- Convenient handles - Packed with a fully-wrapped front handle as well as a rubber molded rear handle.
- An oversized knob - It is basically designed for securing your saw’s chain and bar.
- Tool-less chain tensioner - Helps you adjust chains without taking a lot of time.
- Compact design - It can reach those places where most of the saws are unable to enter.
- 11.3lbs total weight - Because of the lightweight structure, you can move this saw from job to job without much effort.
Still, hunting for the best electric chainsaw for carving? Here’s something that can go with your taste.
This one is for carvers who have lots of projects and want to complete their tasks quickly. Presenting the WG 3041 from WORX.
Thanks to the 15.0-amp motor, you get to carve the woods more efficiently than ever, and that too in a short amount of time.
To take the efficiency to its peak, the chainsaw shows off a large-sized bar worth 18 inches.
You get to carve different types of wood without turning down the projects. Besides, it allows you to make even the most complicated art.
The auto-tension chain system makes this saw pretty unique compared to the typical junk.
You don’t need to worry a bit about getting your chainsaw jammed.
Its manufacturer includes a built-in chain brake and low-kickback bar for adding safety while carving.
Along with it, the auto-oiler keeps your saw active and smooth all the time.
- Compatible with all types of woods
- Delivers low kickback
- An efficient oil tank with an average capacity
- Highly able to reach difficult areas
- You have to deal with oil leakage issues from time to time!
5. Husqvarna 460 Rancher Gas Powered Chainsaw – Runner Up
- A quick-release air filter - This feature is pretty efficient for replacing or cleaning up filters within a short period.
- Fast-start option - Allows users to start up the tool within just a few seconds.
- LowVib feature - To keep you away from unexpected accidents, this feature could be very helpful. It ensures low vibration, as well.
- Centrifugal air-cleaning system - It is designed to get rid of larger dust particles at once.
- And more...
We’re going to wrap up the best gas chainsaw for carving reviews with this beast right here.
If this isn’t going to impress you, what will? Talking about the Husqvarna 460 Rancher gas-powered chainsaw.
The best part about this beast right here is the fact that you can not only do carving but also can complete a versatile amount of timber projects with this all-rounder.
You can guess that this chainsaw is basically for those who want to carve rock-solid wood with a massive shape.
When it comes to power (it’s always about the power), the 60.3cc 2-cycle engine will back you up with maximum efficiency.
So, the next time you feel like it’s hard to make the toughest carves on the hardest objects, wave off your stress.
The only downside is its bulky frame, which can give you a hard time if you hold it for a long time.
Plus, I felt like the price is a bit too expensive for what it has to offer.
- Powerful and long-lasting
- Consumes less fuel
- Compatible with heavy jobs
- 24-inch interchangeable bar
- Takes a short time to clean up or replace filters
- It costs a small fortune!
- A bit weight
What to Look for Before Buying the Perfect Chainsaw for Carving?
Let me tell you why you have to read this guide before making a buying decision.
When it comes to the chainsaw, the market has got around 40+ different models with different features.
And this is why people get confused about choosing a single piece of saw between them.
But don’t worry at all, I already did the hard work by gathering some of the necessary things that you need to look for before getting yourself the best carving chainsaw, so stay tuned with me!
Yes, this is the first thing that you need to look for. The market has got 3 types of chainsaws in general, including cordless, corded, and gas-powered..
Picking up a particular type is a matter of choice and requirements.
For light projects, ease of maintenance, and portability, you should consider choosing a battery-powered saw in place of others.
On the other hand, if you’re a homeowner and require a multi-functional saw that can do it all, you should go with a corded version.
Tell me. Can you expand more cash to get a high-quality chainsaw?
If so, then you can pick up a gas-powered chainsaw with your eyes closed. Now, the ball is in your court!
Comfortable to Use
Nowadays, manufacturers deliver some good-quality chainsaws with an extremely comfortable gripping area, for which anyone can get better comfort at the time running it.
Besides, your saw should be lightweight; otherwise, you won’t be able to carry it for long.
The range of weight should be around 7.59 pounds to 12 pounds. In case it weighs more, you can’t get maximum comfort while carving, mark my words!
Length of Bar
Remember, the length of the bar is not everything. However, you should go with a decent-sized bar to cut several types of wood in the way you want.
I recommend you pick up between 10-inch to 24-inch to make your job more convenient.
Focus on the Safety Features
In the U.S.A., nearly 28000 injuries occur every year due to the chainsaw!
As you can see, it could be one of the most dangerous tools for you if you are not much familiar with its functionality and features.
Whether you are an expert or a beginner, always make sure to select a saw with a couple of safety features including,
- low-kickback chain
- tool-less chain tensioning system
- automatic oiling
Frequently Asked Questions
Which type of chainsaw is safer to use, corded, cordless, or gas-powered?
All of them indeed pack a few safety features for allowing you to cut up safely.
However, in my opinion, you can rely on a battery-powered model instead of others if safety is your first priority.
A cordless version is simple to operate, and it can be turned off/on at once.
Is it okay to use a single piece of chainsaw for carving?
It indeed depends on you and your projects. Listen, if your daily job is related to small woodworking tasks, then having multiple chainsaws is not obligatory.
But, on the other hand, if you are a serious worker and work on large projects more often, then, of course, you have to purchase a couple of saws depending on your projects.
What should I use for wood carving?
Alongside the chainsaw, you should get yourself a couple of things for wood carving, including chisels, a carving knife, V-gouge, U-gouge, a mallet, and a few necessary objects.
Which type of wood could be ideal for carving?
In my opinion, oak is the best option for wood carving. Conversely, a few experts think that basswood is the most ideal option since it is capable of holding the details and compatible with most chainsaws. In a word, you can choose any of them.
So, that was everything on the best chainsaw for carving.
Hope you have got sufficient amounts of knowledge concerning this device, and from now on, you can easily pick up the one that completely suits you.
DEWALT Chainsaw- DCCS620P1 is my top pick, a complete package of durability, versatility, and reliability.
It equips a 20V lithium-ion battery to ensure better performance while cutting up. Alongside it, its lightweight structure allows users to pick it up without much effort.
The second position goes to Husqvarna 460 Rancher. It packs a chain-tensioning system, quick-release air filter, centrifugal air-cleaning system, and, most importantly, a superior 60.3cc engine to carve large-sized woods and trees at a go.
Waiting for a pocket-friendly saw? Then pick out the Greenworks 20222 with your eyes closed.
It has got a rubber-molded handle, which makes this champ comfortable to hold for a long. Despite being very inexpensive, the tool features a 12-amp motor to cut numerous types of wood without facing issues.