Last Updated on January 16, 2023 by Sarker C. Weber
Since you’re here, we can assume you’ve taken an interest in chainsaws for yard work and logging.
However, as far as proper trimming and pruning are concerned, it takes forever for a bow saw to do the whole yard.
So, if you’re here looking for an upgrade, we can show five chainsaws that will do much, much more!
But only the best chainsaw under 300 packs enough power to fell large trees and buck them for firewood.
Keep in mind that different chainsaws are ranging from traditional gas-powered models to modern electric units.
If you don’t have any particular category in mind, feel free to navigate our chainsaw buying guide to know more. But, for now, let’s get on with the chainsaw reviews!
Top 5 Chainsaws under 300 – Reviews
Be it bucking trees or harvesting firewood, a top-notch chainsaw has plenty of uses. To get a good-quality chainsaw of your own, make sure to read our reviews below!
1. DEWALT DCCS620B
- A heavy-duty brushless motor - Ensures an extended runtime for heavy pruning duties.
- Tool-less chain tensioning - Allows you to adjust the chain tension on the go.
- A 12-inch pre-sharpened bar - Suitable for felling light trees and cutting firewood.
- 5Ah 20V MAX battery - Excellent Runtime. You can swap it with any 20V MAX battery from Dewalt.
- Add custom text here
This is a powerful cordless chainsaw with a 12-inch bar and great chain speed.
As a homeowner, you can use this battery-powered chainsaw for pruning and bucking small trees around the yard.
Its low kickback bar allows you to use the chainsaw as comfortably as possible.
For a cordless chainsaw under 300, the Dewalt Max XR is the second-best chainsaw, in our opinion. After all, it weighs only nine pounds with the battery.
Up next, we have its brilliant tool-free chain tensioning system. A bar-tightening knob is there so that you can adjust the clamping force to your preference.
To give you an idea about its unbelievable strength, the saw can actually cut 16″ diameter trees.
In addition, it delivers up to 90 cuts on 4×4 pressure-treated wood.
The tool does miss out on sightlines, which could have made things easier for new users.
However, this chainsaw under 300 has a pre-sharpened chain and a powerful brushless motor to back it up.
Overall, we think Dewalt Max XR is the best for trimming and pruning needs.
The 5Ah 20V battery will last you several hours on a stretch.
- A 9lbs lightweight chainsaw model
- The chain brake protects against kickbacks
- The auto-oiling system allows continuous lubrication
- Powerful brushless motor
- Doesn’t come with sightlines on either side
2. Husqvarna 120 Mark II Gas Chainsaw
- LowVib Technology - Reduces the vibrations level.
- Side-mounted tensioning mechanism - Allows tool-free chain tensioning
- X-Torq engine - Lowers exhaust emissions and fuel consumption.
- Automatic oiler - The automatic oiler in this chainsaw ensures that the chain is consistently lubricated, promoting safe and effective use of the tool.
- Air Injection air cleaning system - The chainsaw is equipped with an Air Injection air cleaning system, which filters out larger dust and debris particles before they reach the air filter. This improves the life of the engine by keeping it clean and reducing wear.
When it comes to gas-powered chainsaws, Husqvarna is always one step ahead of the pack.
Its powerful X-Torq engine, paired with the latest LowVib technology, gives you one hell of a performance.
For a chainsaw under 300, Mark II is a highly reliable chainsaw with a lightweight design.
It allows not only easy chain adjustments but also provides automatic lubrication.
This gas chainsaw is hands down the best for yard work. Thanks to its incredible bar length of fourteen whopping inches.
You should be able to prune trees in your yard and buck small to medium logs with this bar length.
We personally found this gas-powered chainsaw to be a practical power tool for homeowners.
Not to mention, the best chainsaw with a centrifugal air cleaning system will be pretty useful in your next hurricane cleanup!
The fact that this gas chainsaw can effectively lower fuel consumption makes it the best chainsaw under 300 for us.
So, if you want only the best chainsaws for yard cleanups, this gas-powered chainsaw can be a great option.
- Easy to start
- Simple to use
- No safety cover for transportation
3. COOCHEER 62cc Gas-Powered Chainsaw
- A 2-stroke engine - This chainsaw is designed to produce lower emissions and fuel consumption, allowing for steady power delivery and more efficient operation.
- Ergonomic, anti-vibration handles - Keeps arm vibration and blade-wandering in check.
- Lightweight aluminum alloy chassis - You will experience comparatively lower user fatigue.
- An automatic oiler - You don’t have to lubricate the chain yourself.
- Easy to install - This chainsaw can be quickly and easily installed following the included instructions. The necessary tools are conveniently stored in a tool library when not in use, making it easy to maintain and keep organized.
The perks of using gas-powered chainsaws for hardwood are many. But, for now, let’s introduce you to COOCHEER- a remarkable brand of power tools.
We found the finest chainsaw among their 62cc gas chainsaw models, and it’s no other than this 3.5HP 20-inch model.
First of all, its automatic oiler makes sure that the engine stays well-lubricated at all times.
The anti-vibration ergonomic handle makes this COOCHER chainsaw the absolute best for hardwood.
For one, you can maintain a good lot of stability while going through dense logs.
Bucking medium-size logs shouldn’t be a problem for a 2-stroke cycle engine.
No wonder why this gas chainsaw is the best chainsaw for so many professional loggers in the USA.
You also get a replacement chain in the box along with a handy guide-bar covering.
Although simple, it certainly saves your time, and we didn’t see Husqvarna Mark II offer these additional tools.
So, if you’d like the whole package under 300 dollars, COOCHEER is the best chainsaw you can get.
- Lightweight design
- Easy to install
- Ergonomic Design
- A high-capacity fuel tank
- Average quality chain
4. BLACK+DECKER 12-inch Max Cordless Chainsaw (LCS1240)
- A lightweight 10lbs. cordless model - No more refilling gas or finding a power outlet!
- A lock-off button and a front handguard - They ensure complete safety while you’re doing under-cuts.
- Extended runtime -This chainsaw is powered by a 40V MAX battery, providing extended runtime for extended use.
- An automatic oiler -The built-in automatic oiling system of this chainsaw makes it easy to lubricate the bar and chain, simplifying maintenance.
- Tool free chain tensioner - The chain tension on this chainsaw can be adjusted quickly and easily.
With this Black-Decker cordless chainsaw, you don’t have to carry around a tank full of gas or be limited to areas a power cord can cover.
First-timers, take note!
We love the versatility of this battery-powered saw and the fact that you can put any cut into action- be it undercuts, back cuts, or over bucks!
The Black+Decker chainsaw packs a whopping 40V battery and still manages to keep the overall weight at ten pounds!
Two more reasons to call this B&D chainsaw the best for 1st time user.
First, its unique handguard, and second, a lock-off button that keeps users safe and confident.
You can never go through with a simple undercut if you’re in constant fear of kickbacks, right?
That’s why you’ll love its OREGON kickback bar, if not the automatic oiler and the tensioning knob.
Moreover, you don’t need to maintain the chain with bare hands. Beginners find them extremely helpful!
- Easy to use
- Long-lasting battery charge for heavy use
- The 12-inch blade is ideal for cutting everything
- The sprocket cover might come loose over time
5. CRAFTSMAN CMECS600 Electric Chainsaw
- 3 Year Limited Warranty - The Craftsman cmecs600 chainsaw comes with a 3-year limited warranty, providing customers with peace of mind and protection for their purchase.
- Tool-free chain tensioning - This chainsaw features a tool-free chain tensioning system, allowing for easy adjustments to the chain without the need for additional tools.
- Low kickback - The electric chainsaw is designed with a 16-inch low kickback bar and chain, which provides added safety by reducing the risk of sudden and dangerous movements while in use.
- Easy to use - This chainsaw is designed with user-friendly features and controls that make it easy to operate for both novice and experienced users.
Corded electric chainsaws are the cheapest of the lot, but their efficiency makes them worth a buy.
This Craftsman electric saw comes with a 12-amp high-output motor and an 16 inch bar.
Paired with the low kickback bar, this electric corded chainsaw is the best electric chainsaw for us.
Compared to a gas-powered chainsaw, it runs quietly and doesn’t need chain oil that often.
Wondering how that can be possible? The answer is simple; this electric chainsaw has a self-oiling technique.
Come to think of it, modern chainsaws exclusively offer this feature. But it wasn’t easy to find it in a corded electric chainsaw under 300 bucks.
It’s not as quiet as a mouse, but it’s indeed the best for those who love the quiet sawing experience.
Besides, you get an authentic chain with this one. You can’t land bad cuts even if you want to!
- Quite operation
- User-friendly assembly
- The chain could come off the guide bar during use
What to Consider Before Buying a Chainsaw
If you’re wondering what makes the best chainsaw under 300 bucks, you should give this buyers’ handbook a thorough read!
Easy Tension Adjustment
You might not find auto-tensioning chainsaws in the 300-dollar price range.
In any case, you should be able to regulate the chain tensioning on the chain pretty easily.
Most battery-powered chainsaw models feature a tool-free tensioning knob for this purpose.
The latest gas saws come with a side-mounted tensioning mechanism.
This way, you can easily tension the chain without stopping. Not to mention, the bar and chain on these units actually behave.
And if they don’t, you can always tighten and loosen the chain up, that too, while you’re working!
Unlike electric saws, gas chainsaws need fuel to run. And sometimes, these gas-powered models can be fuel-hungry.
The cost adds up, and you might not like the numbers.
So, check if the chainsaw you want is a fuel-efficient model with lower fuel consumption or not.
COOCHEER recommends that you keep a 25:1 fuel to oil ratio in their 62cc gas-powered saw. Its fuel efficiency is unmatched for a cordless chainsaw under 300.
If you’re worried about the excess fuel consumption, you should definitely go for an electric chainsaw.
Well, first of all, it doesn’t need any fuel like a gas chainsaw. It runs on electricity.
Homeowners, farmers, ranchers, and loggers swear by the Ivation 16-inch electric chainsaw.
All you have to do is plug it in and refill the chain oil from time to time. You should find an oil window at the side to check the chain oil level.
The length of the guide bar decides what type of trees you can limb and buck without stressing the machine.
For homeowners, a 16-inch or a 20-inch chainsaw is quite enough for occasional yard cleanups.
If you’re looking for something affordable, the COOCHEER chainsaw is a budget-friendly option.
Moreover, with the cutting bar length being 20 inches, these gas saws are perfect for harvesting firewood.
For lighter tasks such as pruning shrubs and small trees, a 16-inch bar is more than enough.
Emergency Chain Brake
An emergency chain brake can immediately stop the blade from pinching.
However, cutting from the logs’ underside to avoid binding is a temporary solution.
What’s fantastic about a cordless chainsaw and any modern chainsaw is the chain brake.
It protects you against sudden kickbacks should they ever happen. Pretty cool, right?
If you’re feeling particularly careless today, you might opt for running the saw without any chain oil.
Don’t blame us if the chain slows down and the engine burns fuel like crazy. Friction is real, and it’s not something you want to come in your way.
The thing is- the best chainsaw under 300 needs ample lubrication to perform. Hence, the auto-oiling feature.
It also means that you don’t have to pour chain oil on the chain every now and then.
Instead, refill the oil tank, and any chainsaw that offers this spec should handle the rest.
Did you know that the vibrations from a running chainsaw can induce hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) in the long run?
It can lead to permanent industrial injuries- affecting your dexterity as a whole.
A chainsaw with an effective anti-vibration system is a great power tool, in our opinion.
However, if you want to be on the safe side, have a look at Husqvarna 135 Mark II.
The anti-vibration technology in this powerful chainsaw is impressive.
If you don’t have any prior experience with chain saws, you should go for a compact and lightweight chainsaw.
At only 9 pounds with the guide bar, Husqvarna 135 Mark II is the best cordless chainsaw for homeowners.
You’ll find working through high tree branches comparatively easier with this lightweight model.
Wondering what features make an ordinary chainsaw the safest of its kind? Gears like a kickback bar, a safety throttle, an emergency brake, and a chain catcher offer the best kind of safety.
The Ivation electric chainsaw includes not one but two different safety features, and we couldn’t be happier!
If your cordless chainsaw is overheating or producing smoke, turn it off and lubricate the guide bar. Lubricating regularly will keep the machine running in tip-top condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- Why is my cordless chainsaw not cutting?
The most common reason for cordless chainsaw failures is a broken or a damaged cutting chain.
Don’t tension the chain too tight as it might prevent the chain from moving.
Q- Is the Ivation electric chainsaw safe?
Electric chainsaws by Ivation are heavy-duty tools for pruning shrubs and bucking small logs.
It comes with a kickback protection bar and an emergency chain brake. Together, they provide the users with a foolproof safety shield.
Q- What is a durable chainsaw for bucking wood?
The COOCHEER gas-powered chainsaw works like a champ when it comes to felling regular trees in the yard.
New loggers find its aluminum alloy chassis both lightweight and durable.
In addition, its high-powered engine is now complete with an automatic oiler for better durability.
Q- What are the benefits of the COOCHEER gas chainsaw over electric?
With an easy-to-start engine and a 20-inch bar, the COOCHEER chainsaw glides through logs and firewood.
It also comes with an automatic oiling system, so your experience with this chainsaw will be a total cakewalk.
Q- Is Husqvarna 120 Mark II any good?
Mark II is one of the best chainsaws under 300. The chainsaw, as a whole, is designed for a smooth action.
Its pull-start mechanism is a breeze to get a hold of. You’ll also get an air filter with the saw. It keeps the internal machinery protected from sawdust.
Comparing all five chainsaws from today, we declare Dewalt MAX XR the winner!
Dewalt MAX XR is the best chainsaw under 300. Who would have thought limbing logs with a battery-powered chainsaw would be this easy?
Besides, its top-notch safety features such, as the automatic oiler and low kickback bar were hard to beat.
Husqvarna 120 Mark II is the Runner up on this list. The chainsaw is loaded with an easy tensioning knob and a 16-inch bar- all under 300 bucks!
Its X-Torq engine and LowVib action allow you to buck, prune, and trim trees faster than ever.
The Ivation chainsaw offers similar specs with a built-in chain brake as a bonus. Our key takeaways from this electric unit are budget-friendly pricing and the original Oregon blade.
And finally, the solid 20-inch bar on COOCHEER Gas Chainsaw is a good enough deal for lumberjacks and ranchers.
Read our other reviews:
Best chainsaw under 200 reviews,
Best carving chainsaw reviews,