Last Updated on January 17, 2023 by Sarker C. Weber
As a homesteader, you’ve got to do some cutting now and then. And if you’re keen on getting quality results, it’s perfect you get the best homestead chainsaw.
With the perfect homesteading chainsaw working for you, you’ve got no worries when something needs putting down in your surroundings.
And with the help I’m here to give you, you’ll make a most satisfying choice that’ll surely thrill you with every use!
Without wasting much time, let’s take a look at the Best chainsaws in stores.
Top 4 Best Chainsaws for Homesteaders – Reviews
01. Husqvarna 460 Rancher Gas Chain saw – Top Pick
- Side-mount chain tensioner - The chain tensioner system boosts the ease of operating your chainsaw.
- Centrifugal air cleaning - The Centrifugal air cleaning system is a significant invention of Husqvarna. It prevents your engine from getting damaged by blowing away dirt and debris far from your crankcase.
- Anti-vibration system - Low-vibe potential boosts the steadiness and comfort you get from using this saw.
- Side-Mounted Chain Tensioner - With a side-mounted chain tensioner, it is easy to tighten or release chain slack quickly and easily.
- And More....
Husqvarna 460 rancher model comes with a powerful, 24” long bar for tackling any operation with greater ease.
It also comes with a 60.3cc gas engine. If you’re not impressed by the engine size, knowing that it produces speeds at around 9000 rotations per minute will surely fascinate you!
Also, an inertia chain brake system is added to this unit. With this system, you’ll be safe as the engines shut off automatically to prevent serious injury.
The right kind of tension from your saw is also a must if you’re keen to avoid headaches when operating your saw.
That’s why this saw comes with a side-mount chain tensioner.
Engine protection is also a chief concern when you need your chainsaw to function for longer.
Thanks to the centrifugal air cleaning system, making your crankcase is safe. There’s no chance of dirt and debris getting into your engine!
- Very easy to start
- Low-vibe engine
- High-powered engine
- Protective technology
02. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw – Runner Up
- Auto oiler - Auto oiler boosts the lubing mechanism of your chain for better performance.
- Smart Start Tech - Easy start technology makes your engine start with a few pulls.
- Anti-kickback chain - It prevents you from getting a serious cut if your machine kicks back accidentally.
- Inertia chain brake - This system limits the chances of getting injured.
- X–Torque engine - X-Torque engines reduce fuel consumption and gas emissions significantly.
- And More....
Husqvarna 455 rancher model got the right balance between power and performance.
It comes with a 20” long bar powered by a 55.5cc gas engine. With such performance from your saw, there’s no hard object that won’t be down in seconds!
Also, this unit comes with a Centrifugal air cleaning system that prevents engine damage. So it’s the perfect system for keeping your engine protected.
And as if these features are not adequate, there’s still more from this machine!
It comes with an anti-kickback chain which limits the chances of any injuries.
The X-Torque engine assures lesser gasoline emissions, as well as less fuel consumption.
- High-speed engine
- Anti-vibration design
- Low kickback technology
- Reasonable price
- Shipping may get some parts damaged
03. Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Brushless Cordless Chainsaw
- 14” Bar - Good for small to medium operations.
- Auto chain oiler - Auto lubing of your engine prevents kickback and improves cutting performance.
- Fast charger - Recharge your battery in just 90 minutes.
- Manual tensioner - Tweak your chain to the right fitting.
- Electro-ignition - Electric ignition boosts the comfort you get when starting up this engine.
- And More....
This unit comes with a 40V battery which powers up to 90 cuts per full charge. In addition, it comes with a brushless motor to handle all your slicing needs.
You’d also get a manual tensioner for balancing your chain alignment.
Get a quick boost from this engine with an electro-ignition feature. This feature makes sure you don’t have any stress while you are working.
It also comes with a transparent oil tank, ensuring you’ve got a handle on maintaining your machine the right way!
It’s the perfect budget product that makes doubly sure you get the cuts you need!
- Easy to use
- Long-lasting battery
- Fast charge feature
- Oil leaks sometime
04. Ryobi 16 in. 37cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaws
- Automatic adjustable oiler - An adjustable chain oiler makes lubing easier.
- Anti-vibration handle - Easier handling and more control of your chainsaw
- Side tensioning system - Proper alignment of your chainsaw on its bar.
- Inertia-triggered chain brake - Keeps you safe from a nasty injury.
- Safety Tip included - Kickback-prevention guard added. It becomes impossible to use your saw’s tip, thereby limiting kickback incidents.
- And More....
It comes with a 16-inch bar with a 37cc gas engine and features an anti-vibration handle, ensuring you maintain greater control over your saw.
It also features an inertia brake system, a safety tip, and tool-free air filter cleaning.
These elements make the machine perfect for maintaining your safety while assuring you the best performance.
You’ve also got a 3yr warranty included in this saw’s package to ensure you get more from buying this saw.
- Easy to start
- High-tech safety features
- Auto lubing
- It comes unassembled after shipping
Types of Homesteading Chainsaws
Many operators may not know, but there’s a way to check out the exact saw you need for homesteading. Here’re the two types of homesteading chainsaws out there right now;
A homeowner’s saw is more comfortable to control and is an excellent choice for training novice cutters.
It’s essential you start with a homeowner’s saw as a newbie and progress from there should you need a higher-powered saw.
Homeowners’ saws should be within a certain range.
If you’re using the homeowner’s saw for yard clean-up or after a storm, it should be within 35cc – 40ccs for the gas engine.
If you’re going electric, ensure you check out its equivalent with the gas-powered engine.
But if you’re keen on something else, there’s another homesteading chainsaw perfect for you;
These chainsaws regularly sport decent weight-to-power ratios and perform many tasks around your ranch naturally.
A ranch/farm chainsaw features the right amount of power to handle firewood-chopping tasks. With a ranch chainsaw, you can also get small trees down in moments.
These saws are also ideal for land clearing if you’re keen on getting more space for homesteading.
Many homesteading chainsaws come with at least 40ccs of power for gas engines and sport 14” – 16” guide bars.
Such saws also possess a decent amount of features to keep their operators safe. Thus, it should be the next choice after a newbie’s got the hang of a homeowner’s saw.
Frequently Asked Question
What is Homesteading?
Homesteading is the practice of being self-sufficient. In a homestead, residents grow their crops, tend to livestock, and do much stuff independently. Most homesteads are situated in a large expanse of land secluded from the public.
Why Should You Choose an Ideal Homesteading Chain saw?
It’s on record that there’re tens of thousands of injuries every year from chainsaw incidents.
Unfortunately, most of these injuries are a direct result of choosing the wrong chainsaw.
Some operators with little experience may believe chainsaws are perfect when they’re larger.
And in most cases, such operators could get seriously injured.
Choosing the best chainsaw will give you better control over your cutting job and significantly limit any injury incident.
Stihl or Husqvarna Which Brands are better?
From my point of view, Husqvarna is slightly better than stihl. Want to find out why? Read more here.
What are the Best Homesteading Areas in the United States?
If you’re in the US and need to homestead, here’re the best spots for you;
If you’re planning on homesteading or already practicing self-sufficiency, here’re the best homestead chainsaw choices for you.
With these saws among your tools, you’ll be able to cut better and enhance your homesteading activities.
So make your choice today, and you’ll be thrilled by the performance you get!
More On Chainsaw: